Hi! The Sew Family Jammies Blog Tour kicked off November 29. It features 21 amazing inclusive sewists who are creating various styles of jammies for their families. The blog tour is a result of Mac\’s family tradition, of making pajamas for her family every year. Mac is one-half of the founding team for Sew Altered Style.
When I signed up for the blog tour, I knew right away that I wanted to make mommy and me pajamas. For the last 3 years, I have been buying Christmas fabric in the name of making us matching pajamas.
I used fabric designed by my dear friend, Quilenthia, the owner of QA Fabrics. QA Fabrics is curated fabrics featuring characters with brown/black skin tones, lively patterns, and fun prints that represent the beauty that is melanin.
The fabric is from the Floral & Fro Holiday Collection. The fabric was designed using traditional colors of the season dark reds, greens, & cream. They are on a textured background that has a Kraft paper look. The panels feature a little girl and/or women wearing a floral crown over their natural curls. The floral crown is adorned with holly, evergreen leaves, berries and poinsettias. The panels have light, medium and dark skin tone options.
For our pajamas, I used a light skin tone girl and medium skin tone women in dark red. I wore the burgundy watercolor stripes. Skylar wore the dark green floral and dark red floral coordinates. I used the stripes for our neckbands, ruffles and cuffs. The stripes topped the pajamas off giving them a candy cane feel.
I used two free pdf patterns for our pajamas. Mine is Movie Night Pajamas by Sew a Little Seam and Skylar\’s is the Grow With Me Pajamas by Ellie and Mac. I made the long sleeve crew top with cuffs paired with the elastic waist capri pants and cuffs. The Movie Night Pajamas were easy to sew up. The directions and tutorial were clear. At one point, I lost my cuff pattern piece and was happy to find the cuff measurements on the pants pattern piece. The pants fall below the belly button. That took some getting use to as I mostly wear high-waisted styles.
I love the Grow With Me Pajamas. It features both pants and a nightgown option. It is great to know she will be able to get some wear out them next year. I made Skylar the long sleeve top with the grow with me cuffs. I added the sweet ruffle that gave it a really dainty effect.
Thank you for stopping by Blooming Skies to read my blog! You have brightened my day!
- December 2 Teri // Fa Sew La
- December 4 Sierra // Seams Like Sierra
- December 6 Emily // Replicate then Deviate
- December 10 Heidi // Handmade Frenzy
- December 11 Sharon // Sweet Mama Life
- December 12 Carrie // Beri Bee Designs
- December 13 Katie // KatieKortman.com
- December 16 Melissa // A HAPPY STITCH
- December 17 Taish // Blooming Skies
- December 18 Leanne // Thready For It
- December 19 Laurie // Make It Sew with The Bear And Pea Atelier
- December 20 Brooke // Idle Sunshine
- December 21 Marissa // Sew Help Me
- December 23 Lara // Handmade by Lara Liz
- December 24 Kelly // Petite Stitchery
- December 25 Jess // Broad In The Seams
- December 26 Victoria // Victoria Beppler
- December 27 Heather // Heather Handmade
- December 28 Sylvia // The Ravel Out
- December 30 Victoria // Victoria Lucille Anne
- December 31 Teronia // Sew Haute Blog
Don’t forget to join our Facebook group for exclusive releases: https://www.facebook.com/groups/143603389700362/.
Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links”. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small affiliate commission. This helps fund fabric for testing and paying down my student loans. I only recommend what I believe is quality.